September is Library Card Sign-Up Month and legendary Marvel comic creator Stan Lee is serving as the Honorary Chair of the program for the American Library Association. His quote for the campaign: “The smartest card in my wallet? It’s a library card.”
- “When I was a kid, I couldn’t afford to buy the books I wanted, but three blocks away there was a public library and man, to me it was a magic place.”
- “There was the book. I walk in, I give them the card, they stamp the card, I take the book home, it’s mine for a few days and I can read it.”
- “When you have a library card, it’s like having a key to all the information in the world.”
- “When you have a library card, you can read anything about anything, and I found whatever you read it doesn’t matter–it increases your fund of knowledge.”
- “So a library card is an ‘open sesame’ to all the knowledge in the world.”
We couldn’t have said it better, Mr. Lee, but we do have a few more reasons to sign up for a library card at Jacksonville Public Library today:
- OneClickdigital is here. Library card holders can enjoy an additional 4,500 e-audiobook titles at home, in the library or on the go. All you need is a free app for a mobile device, access to the library’s webpage AND a library card.
- Library discounts are available. Library card holders enjoy discounts to various museum exhibits, performing art shows and more throughout the city.
- Free entertainment is easy to access. A library card means access to books, e-books, e-audiobooks, e-magazines, Special Collections, exhibits and concerts.
- Attend workshops and computer classes for free! Get advice from lawyers and financial experts, help with job search and tax forms, and attend free computer classes or one-on-one sessions with an e-library specialist.
- Enjoy children and teen literacy programs. Look for hundreds of youth special reading programs year-round at the library.
And did we mention it’s FREE? See you at the library.