Calling All Superheroes
The 4th Annual Beaches Library Comic Con will be bigger and better than ever! From 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., there will be fandom fun for all ages.
From costumes contests and comic artist and author appearances to scavenger hunts, musical performances and trivia contests, it will be the biggest Beaches Library Comic Con to date.
Schedule of Events:
- 11:30 a.m. – Fletcher High School Marching Band
- Noon – North Florida Jedi Academy
- 12:30 p.m. – Cosplay Demonstrations by Jay Woodley
- Jay Woodley is a Jacksonville native and the Owner/Lead Designer of Woodley Special Effects.Jay has worked on haunted attractions, indie film, museum exhibits, themed attractions, theme park attractions, costumes, props, sets, and is also a special effects expert consultant to the military. As of recently Jay has even gained the attention of industry names Tim Lawrence and Lew Temple for his unique style and passion for his craft.
- 1:00 p.m. – Team Trivia Tournament*
- 2:00 pm. – Costume Contest*
- *Registration required
Other contests include:
- Comic book cover art contest
- We want to see your comic book cover ideas. Print out this entry form comiccover2016 and submit to the Beaches Library.
- We already have an entry! Great job.
- Name our Superhero contest
- As of May 3, we have a name – “Thunder Tome alias Dick Chenary”
Learn all there is to know about being a graphic novel artist and author from the several artists who will be in attendance to answer questions.
- Michael Regina is an award winning film editor and painter/illustrator. For formal training, he studied at the University of North Florida, where he received a BFA in Painting and Drawing. He resides in his life-long hometown of Jacksonville, FL with his wife, kids and cat. In 2014 he published his first book of his graphic novel series, “Adamsville,” and is in production on the second volume. He believes in many strange and unusual things like UFOs, aliens and the Loch Ness Monster, but remains unconvinced that Bigfoot actually exists.
- Jonny Jimison is a cartoonist, writer, illustrator and designer who works in pixels, pen and ink, and – when available – legos. He is a regular contributor to the online community “The Rabbit Room” and to its annual journal “The Molehill.” He resides in Jacksonville, Florida, where he recently completed his first book, “Martin and Marco,” which is the first of the five-volume Dragon Lord Saga.
- Savy Lim. Originally from the Bronx, NY, Sam lives Jacksonville, FL with wife, Len and two little ones. He is the illustrator for Thorgil Bloodaxe Book 2 by Ralph Laitres, published by Friesen Press, and is hard at work on the art for Book 3 in the series. Lim works on commissioned-based illustrations and as sketch cover artist at http://www.onestopcomicshop.com/ (with CGC certification for the hardcore collectors).
- Jacksonville based Aaron Hazouri is the creator, writer and artist of “The Strange Adventures of Toaster Guy”, an indie comics sensation that has sold out at comic conventions all over the southeastern US! He’s also the illustrator for numerous other projects, including children’s books (Buddy and Bird, Tooth Brushing Time) and underground comix (Sancho Sheep)! He’s a freelance illustrator and currently teaches elementary school art.
Check for more info about another artist, Josh Ulrich.
T-shirts for Sale
- Order a 2016 Beaches Library Comic Con T-shirt.
- Proceeds to benefit the Friends of the Beaches Branch Library, who support the library in so many important ways!
The day’s activities also include an appearance by the Batmobile, superhero story times, food trucks, and free shuttle to and from Superhero Beach comic book store.
On the other side of the ditch, Willowbranch Library will be celebrating its first Comic Con. It will be double the fandom fun!
Check out the fun that was had at the 2015 Beaches Library Comic Con
We hope to see you there!