Are you melting trying to enjoy your summer in the sweltering Jacksonville heat? Are you breaking the bank paying to do activities indoors? Yeah, we get that. But just because it’s a trillion degrees out there doesn’t mean you need to sit inside scrolling through Instagram all day.
Here are some of the best ways to stay cool this summer in Jacksonville when you’re working off limited funds.
1) Free Events at the Library: It Isn’t Just for Books Anymore
When you think about a library, do you picture old, musty smelling, leather bound books and librarians who shush you? Well, it’s 2016 and the public library is different now. Want to learn web design or html code? There’s a class for that. Want to take your kids to a story time or do a craft? There’s a class for that too. All the library services are free, and guess what? They have air conditioning! Here are a few great summer activities the library offers:
- Movies at Main: July 19 and 26, 4:30 – 6:30 P.M. in the Hicks Auditorium
- Lunch at the Lounge: Every second Wednesday of the month eat your lunch in the lounge of the main library and listen to great music!
- Teen Programs: Free Summer Lunch Program, Art Classes, Harry Potter Birthday Party, Teen Anime Clubs, Battle of the Bands
- Children’s Programs: Stories for Young Children, Art Exploration, Music and Movement, Summer Learning activities, Free Summer Lunch Program
2) Discount Days at the Museums
$5 Fridays at MOSH
The Museum of Science and History in Jacksonville is offering $5 admission on Fridays as well as extended hours! This isn’t just a look and see museum either. MOSH has hands-on and interactive exhibits that are great for kids, a date, or just a day inside! MOSH is open till 8 P.M. on Fridays so there is plenty of time to explore the exhibits like Health in Motion, JEA Powerplay, KidSpace, and Darwin & Dinosaurs.
Florida Blue Free Tuesdays at the Cummer Museum
Enjoy free admission to the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens each Tuesday, 4 – 9 P.M., sponsored by Florida Blue and the first Saturday of each month, 10 A.M. – 4 P.M., sponsored by Delores Barr and J. Wayne Weaver. At $10 a ticket for adults, this is a great deal!
3) Fitness Classes at Studio Jear
Did your New Year’s resolution of getting fit go out the window after a week? Well Studio Jear Group Fitness on Baymeadows Road is offering fitness classes with no membership fees or contract required. You can pay as you go for each 60-minute class of Zumba, Pilates or Bodypump. Get your sweat on this summer by doing more than just walking to the car.
4) 99.9 FM Gator Country’s Free Concert Series
So maybe these aren’t inside in the A/C, but who can pass up a free concert? With big names in country music like Thompson Square, Dylan Scott, and Canaan Smith, these concerts held at the Jacksonville Landing are a must this summer. Country concerts are better outside anyway. So grab a handheld fan and bring a date or your friends and enjoy great, free country music!
- July 14 @ 8:30 P.M. – Thompson Square
- July 21 @ 8:30 P.M. – Dylan Scott
- July 28 @ 8:30 P.M. – Canaan Smith
What are you doing this summer to beat the heat?
Share your wallet-friendly ideas in the comment section and we’ll add them!
Be our friend! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter @jaxlibrary. Subscribe to our blog to get more helpful posts like this right in your email.