February 14th is a day for romance, for chocolates and roses and Hallmark cards in the sacred tradition of St. Valentine…but the day before is for the time-honored tradition (you know, since 2010) of celebrating gals! First introduce by Leslie Knope, played by Amy Poehler, in Parks and Recreation, Galentine’s Day is a day anyone can celebrate by recognizing the women in your life who are like majestic winged unicorns.
Here are a few ways that you can show the gals in your life, just how much you appreciate them!
- Take your BFFs out for breakfast—because “why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?” Don’t skip out on the waffles. With extra whipped cream.
- Share a powerful song with a friend. It can be a song that you’ve sung together and loved, or try a tried and true track like Helen Reddy’s, I am Woman!
- Bake something with, or for, your best gal friends. Extra chocolate chips are a bonus here!
- Start a book club of book-loving ladies. Emma Watson, who starred as Hermione in Harry Potter and works with UN Women to promote women’s rights worldwide, created a feminist book club. Join in on their discussion, called Our Shared Shelf, or start a book club of your own! You can find a copy of the month’s book in our catalog, or choose another selection like Amy Poehler’s “Smart Girl.”
- Tell your most ambitious, proactive lady friend she should run for office, and then research how together!
- Make a conscious effort to share a compliment with your lady friends. Remind them how they nailed that presentation, give them props on their chocolate cookie recipe, or just tell them they’re a “poetic, noble land mermaid.” It doesn’t have to be a big compliment to put a smile on their face.
- Make a donation in the name of your girlsquad to an organization like Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls or a local organization like the Jacksonville Chapter of the Pace Center for Girls.
What’s your favorite way to remind your friends how much you care about them? Share with us!